Juicy homemade Reuben Sandwich Recipe. Slices of rye bread piled with corned beef, cheese and loaded with sauerkraut and a homemade tangy Russian dressing. This Reuben is everything a grilled sandwich should be.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Hey, hey! Valentina with Valentina’s Corner sharing the BEST Reuben Sandwich Recipe!
What is a Reuben Sandwich?
A classic Reuben is a sandwich consisting of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Russian dressing between slices of rye bread that is grilled until the bread is crispy and the cheese melts.
Though the sandwich may be enjoyed hot or cold, we love serving it HOT. The meat is heated and cheese melts and the tangy dressing penetrates into the sauerkraut creating an irresistible grilled sandwich.
What Ingredients go on a Reuben Sandwich?
- MEAT- Corned beef that’s store-bought (deli dept), or use leftover homemade corned beef.
- SAUERKRAUT- Homemade Sauerkraut or storebought will work great.
- DRESSING- Tangy homemade Russian dressing.
- CHEESE- Swiss cheese is the classic cheese used.
How to Make a Reuben Sandwich?
- Prepare the Russian dressing – just stir it together.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Add the dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese to the bread and close to create a sandwich.
- Cook both sides of the bread slices as a grilled cheese until the cheese melts and bread slices are crispy.
How to Make Russian Dressing?
Though you can purchase Russian dressing or even substitute with Thousand Island dressing instead, the homemade dressing is SO GOOD and really easy to make.
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayo, chili garlic sauce, lemon juice, creamy horseradish, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, onion, paprika, salt and pepper until creamy.
TIPS for Making a Reuben-
- Bread- You want to make sure to use a good quality rye bread as it adds so much flavor to the sandwich.
- Sauerkraut- Be sure to drain as much liquid from the sauerkraut as you can or the sandwich will be soggy. TIP- If you don’t like sauerkraut, you can use Coleslaw instead.
- Garlic butter- If you really like garlic, sprinkle some garlic powder over the butter spread on the bread slices before cooking the sandwich.
- Meat- Though corned beef is the classic meat used in a Reuben, you can substitute for pastrami.
- Panini- You can use a panini press or a griddle to cook the sandwich instead of a skillet if you have one.
- Dressing- The dressing does have some heat in it from the chili garlic sauce. If you don’t like spicy food, add the sauce to taste
This Reuben Sandwich is not only great for a hearty lunch, but it’s also just as good for a quick dinner served with Baked Potato Wedges!
More Sandwich Recipes:
Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Once you try this homemade Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe, you’ll never order it at a restaurant again. Slices of rye bread with corned beef, sauerkraut, Russian dressing, and cheese – grilled until crispy!
Cost to Make:
Calories: 746 kcal
Servings: 3 servings
In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the Russian Dressing, set aside.
In a skillet, over medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add the meat and cook just until heated.
Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread. Place the bread (butter side down) on a plate.
Add the toppings to each sandwich: Spread the dressing, top with the meat, cheese and sour kraut. Close bread slices to create a sandwich.
In a hot skillet, cook sandwiches over medium heat 4-6 minutes, flipping once. Cook until cheese melts and the bread is crispy.
Classic Reuben Sandwich Recipe
Amount Per Serving (3 g)
Calories from Fat 459
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 21g131%
Vitamin A 739IU15%
Vitamin C 25mg30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
If you make this recipe, I’d love to see pics of your creations on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter! Hashtag them #natashaskitchen